Wednesday 9 December 2009

Massage For Moms Running on Empty By Heather Maynard

When people ask me what I do for a living I always receive lots of "oooo"s and "aaahhhh"s when I tell them I am a massage therapist. I do love what I do. I have a gift for nurturing. It is why I love being a mom, it is why I practice massage therapy, it is why I was a doula, it is why I enjoy making my husband his favorite dinners. However, there are times when I out give myself. I have typically been an habitual over giver. This resulted in burn out for me especially as a mom. So I've been practicing self care. I'm setting new boundaries with my children, I'm telling people when they upset me, I'm exercising almost every day, I'm praying more and connecting with my community of friends more often. I am making my own favorite dinners too and I am getting regular massages myself.

We must all care for ourselves in order to really be able to care for others. My hope is that by consistently caring for myself physically, emotionally and spiritually I will have more to give to my daughters. Then, I hope they will learn how to do this kind of self nurturing even as I teach them the value of nurturing others.

As mothers we spend much of our energy trying our best to meet our families physical, mental and even spiritual needs. Any mom knows that this is worth it. At the same time it is very draining. If we aren't careful we can end up running on empty with nothing left to give. Massage therapy is a great way to unwind and recharge. It gives you a few moments when nothing is demanded of you. You can be still; you can just be.Most of us like the idea of getting a massage. It feels good to us, maybe even a little indulgent, but did you know that massage can also be good for you? There are numerous scientific studies that indicate massage therapy can have a positive effect on physical and mental health.

Here are just some of the proven benefits of massage:

  • Decreasing pain
  • Reducing anxiety and stress
  • Improving range of motion
  • Reducing muscle soreness
  • Boosting immune system
  • Lessening depression
  • Relieving back pain
  • Easing labor pain and stress
  • Relieving migraine pain

Consider taking a few moments for yourself today or give a mother in your life the gift of a massage. She will thank you for it. When we mothers don't have to get anyone juice for an hour it feels like a vacation. Imagine how an hour away from it all with the nurturing touch from a trained therapist could make her feel. To find a Nationally Certified Massage Therapist near you, go to NCBTMB's "Find a Practitioner" page.

Heather Maynard has been working as a massage therapist since 2001. She is Illinois state licensed and Nationally Certified. To learn more about her business or schedule an appointment visit http://www.womensmassage.webs.com

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Heather_Maynard

No comments:

Post a Comment