Monday 31 December 2012

how to create a Sankalpa


A sankalpa in Sanskrit means resolve, a determination, what you really wish to fulfill in this life. It resonates precisely in your core and aligns sublimely with your essence.. It is a will power that is flexible and fluid enough to account for changing circumstances as the sankalpa begins to manifest in your inner and outer world. It is natural to have desires and these are the fuel for you to realise your fullest potential, especially when you align your individual desires with that which is more universal

Why:  Setting an intention is a powerful way to harness the energy of your practice towards your highest purpose.  Just as we work with the alignment of our joints and muscles in yoga asana, we can also align our spirit through sankalpa. It shifts your attitude towards the positive and that creates a change within you

What:  The possibilities are limitless… For example:  

  • I transcend my ego and interact from a space free of fear and full of love, 
  • I speak and act with the utmost clarity,  
  • May my actions nurture the freedom and happiness of all beings on this planet,  
  • I am thriving! I’m down 135 ponds; 
  • my relationship is a source of bliss. 
  • Allan and I are engaged. He’s, moved in. I am in love and happy. 
  • I embrace myself for exactly who I am in this moment and celebrate all other beings for who they are in this moment?  
  • May I be an open channel for the healing powers of the universe,  

…you get the picture....

How: I suggest doing a short meditation http://www.yogarelax.co.uk/Summer Wellbeing Relaxation.wav  ~ here’s a short guided mediation that might help you to create the mindset, once you feel more relaxed and centred it’s about observing your thoughts and then asking yourself the question 

~ what do I hope to gain or what do I wish to offer today for my life? 

Contemplate what do you really wish to fulfill in your life? Think big....

One way to start to get use to setting intentions is when you begin your Yoga practice even if it’s in your classes and the teacher doesn’t do this (you still can when you start to centre as no one knows what is going on in your mindJ) is to contemplate your intention for doing your practice on that day... ask yourself before you begin “what do I hope to receive from the practice today? Or what do I wish to offer through my practice?” through contemplation, thoughts and feelings arise which help you to formulate your intention.

Find a concise way to express it, a single phrase/sentence that is in the present tense as if you have received it and living it. Your sankalpa has the power to stir your heart energy and ground your deepest sense of self.  It should resonate with your core, stand resilient to patterns of self doubt, and become something that is clearly worded and easy to recall during yoga practice.  

Last, I personally believe it is most powerful to keep your sankalpa to yourself – as your own luminous secret.

Namaste
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment